Below is a ranking of the Top 25 shows in L+7 post-airdate viewership gain (technical speak for “people watching a new episode of a TV show up to seven days after it airs”) for the week of 1/30/17 ending on 2/05/17 — with our customary Notes and Other Observations. Note that we’ve been tracking this since the beginning of the season, so that insight may reflect here:
Notes and Other Observations:
- This week, ABC’s entire Thursday night (Grey’s, Scandal and HTGAWM) and CBS’s entire Friday night lineups (MacGyver, Hawaii Five-O and Blue Bloods) all rank in the Top 25. Of the two, ABC’s entire Thursday night lineup also ranks in the Top 25 season-to-date.
- New series 24: Legacy is the only new entry this week with a #5-ranking for its Super Bowl-fueled premiere. As the show’s live viewership is still leveling out, it will be a few more weeks before its delayed viewership will also level out.
And below is a listing of the Top 25 shows season-to-date in the same metric with our customary Notes and Other Observations (we’ve been tracking this since the beginning of the season, so that insight may reflect here):
Notes and Other Observations:
- Designated Survivor has topped this ranking since its 9/21/16 premiere — often more than doubling on its L+SD (Live plus Same-Day) viewership. In fact, its L+7 viewership average is currently 4% above its L+SD viewership average (and 31% above This Is Us — now at #2 over The Big Bang Theory).
- NBC’s entire Chicago franchise ranks in this Top 25 (#11 for Fire, #12 for PD and #18 for Med) — which bodes well for the upcoming Justice.
- The premiere of 24: Legacy actually places the show at #18 between HTGAWM and Chicago Med, but it won’t be included on this listing until we see a trend in its raw viewership lift. Our prediction is that it will ultimately land near the bottom of the Top 25 or fall just outside of it.
- There are four new shows in this Top 25.
- This Top 25 is made up of 5 ABC shows, a leading 11 CBS shows (portending a younger viewership than the network is given credit for and/or a greater adoption of the technology than those older viewers are given credit for), 7 NBC shows and 2 FOX shows.
- This Top 25 is made up of only TWO comedies (one multi-cam and one single cam) and TWENTY-THREE dramas (fifteen procedurals and eight more serialized).
- This Top 25 is made up of 2 Monday shows, 5 Tuesday shows, a leading 8 Wednesday shows, 6 Thursday shows, 2 Friday shows and 2 Sunday shows.
- This Top 25 is made up of four 8pm shows, ten 9pm shows and a leading eleven 10pm shows as viewers are either heading to bed, winding down for the evening before bed and/or shifting to more mindless programming once in bed.
- The most DVR’d hour is Wednesdays at 9pm — with shows on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX airing in that time period ranking in the Top 25. Keep in mind that neither FOX nor the CW program the 10pm hour — so Wednesdays at 10pm also have representation across the remaining three networks that do.
- CBS’s entire Tuesday night lineup (NCIS, Bull and NCIS: New Orleans), FOX’s entire Wednesday night lineup (Lethal Weapon and Empire) and ABC’s entire Thursday night lineup (Grey’s, Scandal and HTGAWM) all rank in the Top 25 season-to-date (but note that FOX only programs 8-10pm while CBS and NBC program 8-11p).