Below is a listing of the Top 25 Post-Airdate Viewership gainers for the week of 1/23/17 (through 1/29/17) with our customary Notes and Other Observations (we’ve been tracking this since the beginning of the season, so that insight may reflect here):
Notes and Other Observations:
- This Is Us tops this week’s ranking with an incredible 59% advantage over NCIS: New Orleans at #2.
- This week, CBS’s entire Tuesday night, ABC’s entire Thursday night and CBS’s entire Sunday night lineups all rank in the Top 25. Of the three, CBS’s entire Tuesday night and ABC’s entire Thursday night lineups also rank in the Top 25 season-to-date.
- Scandal is the only new entry this week with its first episode of the season — coming in at #9.
- The returns of Top 25 gainers Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder came in at a respective #7, #9 and #8.
And below is a listing of the Top 25 shows season-to-date in the same metric with our customary Notes and Other Observations (we’ve been tracking this since the beginning of the season, so that insight may reflect here):
Notes and Other Observations:
- Designated Survivor has topped this ranking since its 9/21/16 premiere — often more than doubling on its L+SD viewership. In fact, its L+7 viewership average is currently 4% above its L+SD viewership average (and 30% above The Big Bang Theory at #2).
- NBC’s entire Chicago franchise ranks in this Top 25 (#11 for Fire, #12 for PD and #20 for Med) — which bodes well for the upcoming Justice.
- The return of ABC’s Scandal pushed NBC’s Blindspot out of this Top 25.
- Though there is only one week of post-airdate lift for ABC’s Scandal, it is included in the season-to-date listing on account of its solid history as a top gainer.
- There are four new shows in this Top 25.
- This Top 25 is made up of 5 ABC shows, a leading 11 CBS shows (portending a younger viewership than the network is given credit for and/or a greater adoption of the technology than those older viewers are given credit for), 7 NBC shows and 2 FOX shows.
- This Top 25 is made up of only TWO comedies (one multi-cam and one single cam) and TWENTY-THREE dramas (sixteen procedurals and seven more serialized).
- This Top 25 is made up of 2 Monday shows, 5 Tuesday shows, a leading 8 Wednesday shows, 6 Thursday shows, 2 Friday shows and 2 Sunday shows.
- This Top 25 is made up of four 8pm shows, ten 9pm shows and a leading eleven 10pm shows as viewers are either heading to bed, winding down for the evening before bed and/or shifting to more mindless programming once in bed.
- The most DVR’d hour is Wednesdays at 9pm — with shows on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX airing in that time period ranking in the Top 25. Keep in mind that neither FOX nor the CW program the 10pm hour — so Wednesdays at 10pm also have representation across the remaining three networks that do.
- CBS’s entire Tuesday night lineup, NBC’s entire Wednesday night lineup, FOX’s entire Wednesday night lineup and ABC’s entire Thursday night lineup all rank in the Top 25 season-to-date (but note that FOX only programs 8-10pm while CBS and NBC program 8-11p).