One of the more fascinating TV trends of the last several years was the rise of digital networks — subnetworks that exist on the digital tiers of affiliated local broadcast stations across the country. Some, like Decades TV, Cozi TV, Antenna TV, Laff, Heroes & Icons, Retro TV, Get TV, Comet TV and Me TV, primarily air reruns of classic TV shows from the 1950s to the 1990s and are frequently referred to as nostalgia channels.
A few of them have recently announced several new acquisitions — and while they don’t as readily announce this, others shows will consequently be removed from the schedule. So we decided to start a Diginet Watch to help us all keep up with the program changes and scheduling shifts. (Note: times below are Eastern and in one-hour blocks unless otherwise noted.)
Antenna TV has TWELVE new shows coming in early 2017:
– The Patty Duke Show (1963-1966) returns from a year on Me-TV to run weekdays at 11am.
– The Joey Bishop Show (1961-1965) will run weekdays at 1pm, Saturday nights from 1130pm-1am and Sunday mornings at 9am.
– What’s Happening!! (1976-1979) will run M-Th at 8pm.
– 227 (1985-1990) will run M-Th at 9pm and Sunday nights at 1am.
– Becker (1998-2004) will run M-Th at 12m and Sunday evenings at 6pm.
– The short-lived Good Morning World (1967-1968) will run Saturdays nights at 1am.
– And My Two Dads (1987-1990) will run Sunday nights at 11pm.
Also headed to Antenna TV, but not yet on the schedule are Alice (1976-1985), Growing Pains (1985-1990), Valerie/The Hogan Family (1986-1991), Head of the Class (1986-1991) and Murphy Brown (1988-1998).
Removed from the schedule are Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955-1965), Evening Shade (1990-1994), The Jack Benny Program (1950-1965), Leave it to Beaver (1957-1963) and McHale’s Navy (1962-1966). Whether this means the network no longer has the rights to run these shows or not remains to be seen, but note that Beaver is going over to Me-TV.
Cozi TV has added three shows for early 2017.
– The Rockford Files (1974-1980) will run weekdays at 12n.
– Emergency! (1972-1977) is coming over from Me-TV to run weekdays at 1pm.
– The 1971-1978 Columbo movies will run Saturdays evenings from 7-830pm and Sundays nights from 7-10pm.
Removed from the schedule are Adam-12 (1968-1975), Charlie’s Angels (1976-1981), Hart to Hart (1979-1984) and Magnum, P.I. (1980-1988). Whether this means the network no longer has the rights to run these shows or not remains to be seen.
Heroes & Icons has only added one show for 2017: Wiseguy (1987-1990) — which will air weekdays at 2pm.
Decades added one show in December 2016: Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In (1968-1973) — which is currently airing weeknights at 6pm and 12m.
Me TV added two shows in December 2016 and will add eight more in early 2017.
– CHiPs (1977-1983) is currently airing weekdays at 4pm.
– the original MacGyver (1985-1992) is currently airing weeknights at 5pm and 9pm.
– Leave it to Beaver (1957-1963) is coming over from Antenna TV and will air weekdays at 8am.
– the 30-minute b&w episodes of Gunsmoke that aired for the first six of the show’s eventual 20 seasons return to air weekdays at 1pm.
– Mannix (1967-1975) will air weeknights at 2am.
– Ironside (1967-1975) will air weeknights at 3am.
– 77 Sunset Strip (1958-1964) will air weeknights at 4am.
– Maverick (1957-1962) will air Saturdays at 10am.
– the 1989-2003 Columbo movies will air on Sundays at 8pm (interestingly concurrent with the 1970s movies on Cozi-TV).
– Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1985) will air on Sundays at 10pm.
Removed from the schedule is Emergency! — which is moving over to Cozi.
If you hear or read something we didn’t, please let us know for the Watch.